Like what you see? Follow me!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Peace, Love, and Music



A lot has been happening in my life. Not a lot of writing, but a lot of other stuff. Good stuff. I'd like to share it with you. Another day. Because I need to take a few moments and celebrate an anniversary.

Forty-one years ago today (and yesterday, and tomorrow), The Woodstock Festival took place. Was I there? *sigh*, no. I wasn't even born yet. Would I have been there had I been born then? Hell yes!

I know many things about this festival, probably more than many of the people who were actually there. The advantage, I suppose of being a product of the information age and a fanatic. I have the DVD, special edition of course, commentary and all. I have books about it. I have read as much as I possibly can on the internet. Last year, on the 40th anniversary, I spent the whole weekend on the couch, watching VH1 Classic and their tribute to all-things-Woodstock and the bands that were there.

What is it about these three days in my life? How does this effect me? Well, for one, I wasn't there. It is just one more thing on my list of born-too-late-for... But things tend to happen to me, both good and bad during these three days. It is the time when I hit the wall, so to speak, with a very bad behavior nine years ago, and turned my life around. I have gotten some of the best jobs I have had in August. I tend to move in August, once five years ago and again last weekend.

But most of all, it is what it is supposed to be. Music. It is another day (or three) that reminds me that peace and love is possible, if I strive for them. If I keep my mind focused and my side of the street clean, I can have peace and love with all of mankind. When I cannot find that focal point and my mind doesn't clear, I can listen to the music and figure it out. I want to always be of service to mankind for the greater good. Whether it be for a group of 2 or 400,000 to 500,000 (estimates vary on the actual number), I can practice love and tolerance, and spread love to those around me.

I would like to leave you with Creedence Clearwater Revival's John Fogerty's words on preforming at 3 a.m, 41 years ago today, at the Woodstock Festival:

"We were ready to rock out and we waited and waited and finally it was our turn... ...there were a half million people asleep. These people were out. It was sort of like a painting of a Dante scene, just bodies from hell, all intertwined and asleep, covered with mud.  And this is the moment I will never forget as long as I live: a quarter mile away in the darkness, on the other edge of this bowl, there was some guy flicking his Bic, and in the night I hear, "Don't worry about it John. We're with you." I played the rest of the show for that guy."

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. I was born, but too young, and I've always wished I could've been there. I love the CCR story. Thanks for sharing it.

    Love you, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ivy, I have something for you over at my blog. Don't make me come find you! :)

    ~that rebel, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Woodstock documentary is really incredible. That summer was just after I graduated from high school. I was living in East Tennessee at the time and working a summer job before college. I kept up with the Woodstock happenings via TV coverage. Between that and the first moonwalk it was an historic summer.
    Festivals became all the rage after Woodstock. Some of my friends went to ones in Atlanta and elsewhere, but I never went--too into work and school and all. It was a great time though.

    Nice Post.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been there too, at Woodstock. Hendrix and Joplin was damn cool, I still listen to it from time to time, but mostly I'm a metal addict >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete